Thursday, June 30, 2022

Book Review: The Hedgewitch's Little Book of Seasonal Magic by Tudor Beth


From the Publisher: "Over 100 Recipes, Spells & Crafts to Connect with Seasonal Energies

Plants, wildlife, the environment, and even weather phenomena are sacred to the hedgewitch. This beautiful book follows the sun around its seasonal year, providing more than a hundred recipes, spells, potions, and crafts to help you reconnect with natural and elemental energies. You'll enjoy recipes for jams, jellies, chutneys, and syrups as well as spells, Esbat rituals, and correspondences for each of the seasons. Tudorbeth shares enchantments for safe travels, luck, preventing floods, increased passion, and many other purposes. From winter spice marmalade to Mabon apple garland, this hands-on book helps strengthen your magic as you travel through the Wheel of the Year."

My Review:  The Hedgewitch’s Little Book of Seasonal Magic is the 2nd in a series of books about hedgewitchery by author Tudorbeth. This little book is packed with information and is easy to read. Tudorbeth starts with some basic information about who a hedgewitch is and how she practices. She goes over supplies a hedgewitch would have in her cabinet as well as ingredients and herbs.  Next, she gives a breakdown of Sabbats and Esbats, before we get into the four sections breaking up the seasons, starting with Spring.  In each seasonal section the author includes recipes for using the bounty of each season, including jams and jellies, teas, syrups, etc. She then discusses crafts to make each season, followed by spells, elementals, rituals and correspondences.

I love this book because the recipes and crafts are unique. I love that she uses seasonal plants in her tonics and recipes. She gives a list of seasonal foods and herbs at the beginning of every section, and she incorporates those into her food and drink, crafts and medicine. At the start of the summer season, she gives info on edible flowers. I love the taste of flowers. Violets are my favorite, but I also love rose, hibiscus, lavender and jasmine. I love foods and drinks that combine a fruit with a flower or herb. It’s such an interesting flavor profile when you have blackberry hibiscus or even blackberry basil.

The craft projects included are actual crafts or activities I would be into and want to keep. It seems like a lot of books suggest crafts that are papery or chintzy or something that I would make in grade school. I love that she gives instructions for making bath products, pressing flowers, making altar pieces, wands and mobiles. These are things I would treasure and use regularly or at least bring out for every Sabbat – rather than paper crafts that would get thrown away after a single use.

Overall, this book ties everyday activities and special activities into the changing seasons in a way that for me is special because I love working with herbs. I think that her spells and rituals are very meaningful and would help the reader connect with the seasons in a natural way. I look forward to reading more books by Tudorbeth as well as trying out many more of the recipes include in this book.

*I received The Hedgewitch’s Little Book of Seasonal Magic from the publisher, via Netgalley, in exchange for my honest review.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment